Do you want to do your bit for the environment? Well here goes, in order:
1. Feed the local birds. Put out seeds for parrots and finches. Try some lorikeet mix from a pet shop for nectar-feeding birds. Plant grevilleas, kangaroo paws, bottlebrushes and banksias for nectar-feeding birds.
2. Don’t use toxic chemicals in the garden. The sprays that are safe are:
- Yates Success for most insects
- Dipel for caterpillars
- Eco Fungicide for fungal diseases
- Yates Anti Rot for root rot
3. Use fertilisers sparingly
4. Compost all green waste, kitchen scraps etc
5. Build a pond and some dense leafy groundcovers for frogs. Use solar UV lights to attract insects for the frogs at night.
Always leave your garden better than you found it.