Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 1/2 cup plain flour
• 1/2 cup self-raising flour
• /2 cup ground almonds
• /2 cup caster sugar
• 150g butter, melted and cooled slightly
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 250g strawberries
• vanilla yoghurt, to serve
Rosewater glace icing
• 1/2 cup (75g) icing sugar mixture
• 1 tablespoon boiling water
• 1/2 teaspoon rosewater essence
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 26cm x 16cm (base measurement) slice tin and line with baking paper, extending over the two long sides.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the butter, vanilla and eggs and fold together until smooth. Spread into the prepared tin.
3. Hull the strawberries, then wash and pat dry. Cut in half lengthways, and lay over the cake batter, cut-side down. Bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to a gentle touch in the centre.
4. Stand in the tin for 5 minutes, then use the paper to lift out onto a wire rack. Slide the paper out from under-neath and leave to cool.
5. To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the boiling water and essence, and stir until smooth. Use a pastry brush to spread over the slice. Leave to set.