Get help, share your knowledge

You are not logged in

Burke's Backyard Forum > Renovation and DIY  
Author Posts  

greenhornet
Forum newbie - be nice!

onion weed

Posted 3574 days ago

any one got a better idea on how to get rid of onion weed apart from trying to dig it out all the time.
_________
good advice saves you doing it twice.

pomolo
Forum legend

RE: onion weed

Posted 3572 days ago

Try painting the leaves(use a kids paintbrush)with Glyphosate. You might have to do the area twice if some bulbs manage to slip through the first dose.

BudKrone
Forum regular

Posted 3509 days ago

Large bore syringe with Glyphosate and inject it directly into the soil. Painting the leaves tends to only kill the leaves and not the bulbs.
Digging them up only increases them by several trilllion.

Cheers Bud,
_________

14theroze
Forum celebrity

Posted 3497 days ago

You think you have a problem with onion weed - take a look at my paddocks. However my onion weed is probably a different kind to yours. The onion weed (or onion grass) I have has a small purple flower when it flowers. I find when it's been dug up it tends to reduce in numbers.

The onion weed we had in Sydney is probably the one you're talking about - it had a white flower. I used to find weed sprays useless on them, I'd dig them up where I could and carefully remove the whole plant roots and all - with some of the surrounding soil. It's a tedious job. It's best to dig them up when they are not producing new bulbs - they multiply in 2 ways - producing the new bulbs at it's base and by seeds.
_________
Even the hard, dull, dry ground harbours life - which is brought to the surface with the fresh touch of drenching rain (or the humble watering can).

judyo
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2954 days ago

I have managed to get rid of the few I had by covering them with black polythene and/or lots of newspapers. when I wanted to plant in that area I dug a hole thru the paper/poly and added compost and planted my plants I was lucky and did not have a great area to treat. some of the weed did come thru with the new seedlings but I kept digging them out. takes a while to treat.

dragonace
Forum stalwart

Posted 2951 days ago

judyo is right. newspapers are the best though you need a thick layer. it kills most if not all without disturbing the soil
_________
No gardener is really good before he has killed one or two plants.

Georgen
Forum stalwart

Posted 2950 days ago

Problem sometimes is, that you do not want to see newspapers for months, especially when it is part of lawn or backyard that you see every day. However digging up can make matters worse as little bubblets can spread around.

If not too close to some precious plants, I make hole in the ground with screwdriver and pour boiling water into the hole. When water seeps in I pour some more couple of times. If I don't want to cook roots of other plants I rub Zero weed killer into wounded leaves using rubber gloves.

dragonace
Forum stalwart

Posted 2945 days ago

actuall Georgen you are a bit slow.....you are supposed to cover the newspaper with wood chips or even fresh soil as long it has no onion grass.

boiling water wont help but might stimulate the growth of the onion weeds due to the warmth in the soil, Zero is also not very useful a you will have to do it a couple of times which no one will be bothered.

really the pt is everyone hates weeding but you should only do it twice a year in your yard. otherwise you are just wasting time.
_________
No gardener is really good before he has killed one or two plants.

hutcho
Forum celebrity

Posted 2937 days ago

A few drops of turps down the centre will knock it over for keeps.
_________
Experience is what you get when you dont read the instructions first.I'm a LEO.I am experienced!

jim567
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 1716 days ago

I have managed to remove onion weed from some parts of my yard by mixing hi strength glisophate at double the recomended strength with a few drops of deturgent.
A second wave of plants will sprout about 2 - 3 weeks after the main plant dies hit em again and keep an eye on the area you may need to do this a third time to realy clear them out. If they are in your lawn you might need to patch it up after onion weed is gone.
I had dead patches in my lawn for most of last summer but it was worth it.
_________

hawkinau
Forum newbie - be nice!

RE: onion weed (Romulea rosea)

Posted 1634 days ago

Onion weed/grass or as we call it in the West Guildford Grass (Romulea rosea). Onion weed here is a bigger plant up to 30cm high with succulent leaves and white flower similar to Guilford grass in looks, confined to coastal areas and is easy to control on the other hand Romulea rosea is a pain to control.

I have been battling with it for years in my lawn and the only way I have found like many of you to control it is with glisophate it is a very pains taking and time consuming job but it works, however you have to be on a mission with a plan and keep at it and you will eventually win but it will take a year or three unfortunately.

I might give turps a go on some and see how that works, the following link lays out a plan,

http://www.johnwamsley.com/may25.html

Good luck

NatArm
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 1497 days ago

We have just bought a new place with lots of this weed both in the garden beds and on the lawn. I will start treating the onion grass in the garden beds but wanted to leave the ones in the grass - we would just mow over them so they don't bother me. If I don't treat the ones on the lawn, am I wasting my time trying to get rid of the ones in the beds? Will they just spread?
Thanks