Get help, share your knowledge

You are not logged in

Burke's Backyard Forum > Renovation and DIY  
Author Posts  

nanger
Forum newbie - be nice!

laying wooden decking

Posted 2106 days ago

When laying wooden decking under a pergola,should the flutes be facing up or down or doesnt it matter?Why are there flutes on one side and for what reason are they there?
Confused!
allan f

Alert moderator

pomolo
Forum legend

RE: laying wooden decking

Posted 2106 days ago

Now I know zilch about building or carpentry for a start. I only know ours are laid with the flutes (i didn't even know they were called flutes either)down. I understood it was so water didn't lay in the recesses. The total extent of my knowledge about it I'm afraid.

Alert moderator

Benh
Forum stalwart

Posted 2097 days ago

I've had this discussion before and heard arguments for why it should be laid both ways.

Ridges up; because it provides grip

Ridges down; "Pine decking is often supplied "reeded" i.e. with ridges dressed along the length of each board. Although often laid reeded face up, reeded decking is actually intended to be laid reeded face down so that the reeds form an air gap above the joist to allow any moisture to escape. Also, by laying the reeds downwards, any splinters of timber formed by the reeds will not be hazardous." (Copied off another forum)

Ridges down seems to make more sense to me and besides, I reckon it looks better!

_________
from little things, big things grow!

Alert moderator

GABBE
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2091 days ago

Hello Nanger,

we recently built a deck at the back of our house, a carpenter friend advised us to put them down. Hubby is currently out and I am unable to recall exactly why "down was it" there were a few reasons that all sounded viable at the time though. If you need more information I am happy to ask and get back to you :)
_________
Babies easy to make hard to deliver!!

Alert moderator

mickv3
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2073 days ago

all of the above but preferably "down" as to help the timber to dry out more evenly to reduce twisting and warping

Alert moderator

ducky
Forum stalwart

Posted 2070 days ago

Wouldn't it be better to have them on both sides?
_________
:)

Alert moderator

marcushc
Forum regular

Posted 1861 days ago

When it is time to resand your deck you will understand why. I own a deck refurbishing caompany and disadvantages are of reeded up- Premature joist rot -also can be prevented by use of plastic dampcourse, earlier growth of mould spores and mould as recesses retain water longer-prolong this event by use of timber sterilising techniqes. SPLINTERS. joins of reed are serrated if misaligned and will cut. You sand off alot of timber when you require sanding. TIMELESS CLASS= REEDS DOWN. Use quality coatings, not cheap oils and you will save money.
_________
GROW HARD OR GROW HOME

Alert moderator

yma123
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 1853 days ago

hi all,

I have a question about decking. Can you lay decking over concrete... we have a balcony area which is concrete & has a concrete room under neath but can we lay decking ontop of that? would it be easy to do?
_________
thanks Amy.

Alert moderator

© 2007-2014 CTC Productions, All Rights Reserved
Home | Message Board | Fact Sheets | Members | Magazine | CTC Facilities | About Us | Privacy Policy | Contact Us