Get help, share your knowledge

You are not logged in

Burke's Backyard Forum > Pets and wildlife discussion  
Author Posts  

rosemad
Forum newbie - be nice!

possums eating roses

Posted 2334 days ago

Do you have any ideas as to how i can stop possums from walking along my fence at night? They sit there happily eating all the new shots off my climbing roses. They are now perfectly trimmed at fence height!!

Alert moderator

pomolo
Forum legend

RE: possums eating roses

Posted 2334 days ago

Quassia chips are supposed to stop possums. Someone I know put old stuffed/furry toys in the plants and the possums were scared of them so never came back. There are other deterrants available commercially from nurseries and hardware stores.

Alert moderator

Perregrine
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2322 days ago

I found when I had a few possum attacks on my roses of which I have forty so they thought it was Christmas, that if I set up a feeding station in another place in the garden with fruit, especially bananas, the possums would go there and forget about the roses. What I did was for the first week or so I had a big plastic pot saucer with cheap fruit from a roadside stall and put quite a large quantity there, having cut the roses back a little to distract them and then over the next three weeks each night, I would put less and less fruit out and the possums just went away. Distraction always seems to work for me. Be sure to put the fruit as far away from the roses as you can, even at the end of the driveway near the street.

Alert moderator

Waratah
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2090 days ago

Give them something else to eat. Plant a lilly pilly...
_________

Alert moderator

14theroze
Forum celebrity

Posted 2085 days ago

I like the lilli pilli idea (I might even have success keeping my lilli pilli alive this time - so long as I surround it with shade cloth over the next 2 years or so, and the sheep- don't prune it).

Would any of those repellant ideas work for the sheep too? I have just one of my 40 wiltshire sheep who insists on jumping the fence (which is temporary and not very high) and prunes the leaves off my roses. He's easy enough to chase out of that garden when I see him there - but I have to catch him in it. My dogs bark at so many things - especially the birds - that I can't tell if they start to bark because the sheep is in my rose garden.
_________
Even the hard, dull, dry ground harbours life - which is brought to the surface with the fresh touch of drenching rain (or the humble watering can).

Alert moderator

Waratah
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2077 days ago

A large lilly pilly in my street looked dead for a year after being craned over the house to a new position. When tying the haulage rope on to remove it one new leaf was noticed. The tree recovered. The whole street were amazed.

Perhaps grevilleas or wattles could be planted nearby for shade. I would ask your local wildlife carer organisation which species possums eat.
_________

Alert moderator

April21
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2076 days ago

Feed the possums, they are hungry! Instead of roses you should plant a native garden! We live in Australia, not England!
And don't you ever forget, that we/you have taken their land away, not the other way round, so tolerate them and forget your roses. Possums are beautiful animals with pouch young and they are starving, that is why they are eating roses instead of native vegetation! Give them a break for gods sake!
_________
sick of irresponsible cat owners, letting their cats roam and kill wildlife and annoy neighbors!!!

Alert moderator

April21
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2076 days ago

Possums like Corn, apples, mandarins, broccoli, bananas, rolled oats, even raisins. Go on spoil them!
_________
sick of irresponsible cat owners, letting their cats roam and kill wildlife and annoy neighbors!!!

Alert moderator

Gabs
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2066 days ago

Don't be such a garden-nazi, April21, not everyone wants a garden full of natives. Poss-off, a spray from hardware and garden supply stores works well to keep possums away, but you have to reapply it after rain. Diluted Tabasco sauce also works.

Alert moderator

14theroze
Forum celebrity

Posted 2064 days ago

I like the tabasco idea. The sheep won't like me if I try it though. If it works - and I will give it a try - my roses (and other young seedlings and saplings) might yet have a chance.
_________
Even the hard, dull, dry ground harbours life - which is brought to the surface with the fresh touch of drenching rain (or the humble watering can).

Alert moderator

quey
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 1197 days ago

electric possum fencing will stop them walking on top of your fences, I have designed a low visual possum fence that goes on top of your existing fence. if anyone is interested please call 0449 086 217 based in Melbourne

Alert moderator