Get help, share your knowledge

You are not logged in

Burke's Backyard Forum > Growing fruit and vegetables  
Author Posts  

hattiehen
Forum newbie - be nice!

plants for chook pens

Posted 2008 days ago

Just wondering if anyone has ideas for good plants to use in chook pens eg. plants they won't destroy, that will provide shade and can handle the fertilizer.
Also, will an orange tree survive in the chook pen?
_________

Alert moderator

Wattsy
Forum newbie - be nice!

RE: plants for chook pens

Posted 2006 days ago

Ive got a mandarin tree in my chook pen, goes alright, plenty of fruit.

When it was young i had to fence it off with chicken wire to stop the chooks destroying it, and theres a few biggish rocks i put around the base of it to stop the chooks from scratching it out. But it certainly does ok!

Alert moderator

hattiehen
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 1984 days ago

Thanks for that Wattsy. Planted an orange tree, will see how it goes. Great idea about the rocks, will do that too. Destructive little things those chooks!
_________

Alert moderator

14theroze
Forum celebrity

Posted 1983 days ago

I've planted several citrus trees in my large chook yard = they are thriving (and yes - the chooks love scratching away at the soil beneath them).

I have no chooks at the moment but still have 6 lovely geese. I've started to plant veges in the chook pen just for my geese and future chooks. I can keep the geese away from the area I'm planting in, and have planted silverbeet, spinach and tomatoes so far.
I'd be happy for more ideas of the type of greens chooks and geese would like to eat. I've read that wire mesh can be used to protect the plants in the chook pen and the chooks would be able to pick at the parts of the plants that grow through the wire mesh - that way they can't destroy the plants but still can enjoy the fresh greens. This will be my first attempt at trialing this idea.
I'm also planning to use a moveable framework to section off areas in my chook pen to allow the grass and weeds to grow back so that I can let the chooks and geese feast on it when I move the framework. I'll be throwing in grain seeds and letting them become established too. I have a good sized chook yard to work with (I'm on some acreage).
_________
Even the hard, dull, dry ground harbours life - which is brought to the surface with the fresh touch of drenching rain (or the humble watering can).

Alert moderator

BobbieJ
Forum stalwart

Posted 1975 days ago

A choko is a great plant in the chook yard. But do cover with netting for a few months, as the chooks love fresh shoots! If you don't have a neighbour with chokos, get one from the supermarket and let it shoot!!

If you don't like chokos - put them in soups and chutney!!
_________
Of all the wonderful surprises in life, none is better than seeing that first shoot tear out of the earth and form into a wonderful plant and vegetable.. .

Alert moderator

hattiehen
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 1935 days ago

Thanks everyone for those great tips. Will definately try the choko idea BobbieJ - thanks for that!
_________

Alert moderator