Get help, share your knowledge

You are not logged in

Burke's Backyard Forum > General gardening  
Author Posts  

14theroze
Forum celebrity

Ginko Biloba

Posted 2012 days ago

I live on a property in a very dry area, not far from Wagga Wagga. I have planted a Ginko biloba but am having trouble with it not progressing in it's growth. It is planted in an open area with very little protection (though I do have a shade cloth surrounding it to protect from the wind, hot sun in the summer and frosts). I planted the young sapling about 4 years ago. I do not water it regularly as I'm trying to promote drought tolerance in my trees (and most of the other trees planted in a similar fashion here are thriving without extra waterings). My ginko started out at about 1 metre tall but after the first year it died right back and I thought I'd lost it. Twice over the last 4 years the tree has done the same but after some good growing weather (including whatever little rain we get here) it starts to grow back again. Presently the new growth has survived the extreme heat over summer (still with only the minimum of watering) and only about 19 inches tall. I would really love to see this tree succeed in growing into a strong and healthy mature tree. Does anyone have any useful hints as to how to encourage healthy growth that will withstand the frosts in winter and the heat of summer. I figure if it's still trying to make a come back in it's growth there has to be a chance to see it make it through the sapling stage.
_________
Even the hard, dull, dry ground harbours life - which is brought to the surface with the fresh touch of drenching rain (or the humble watering can).

hutcho
Forum celebrity

RE: Ginko Biloba

Posted 2009 days ago

Hi there 14theroze.Long time!! I had a quick look at Ginko on a few sites,and the common thread seems to be full/part sun, protect from strong winds,good drainage,don't over-water and will tolerate a wide range of soils.Very general info.Since it's a northern hemisphere plant,I'd suggest that maybe some afternoon shade in Summer might help,like it does for many non-natives...esp. veggies!(And a slash of Seasol never hurts.)
_________
Experience is what you get when you dont read the instructions first.I'm a LEO.I am experienced!

hutcho
Forum celebrity

RE: Ginko Biloba

Posted 2009 days ago

...splash of seasol :)
_________
Experience is what you get when you dont read the instructions first.I'm a LEO.I am experienced!