Get help, share your knowledge

You are not logged in

Burke's Backyard Forum > General gardening  
Author Posts  

Haslemere
Forum newbie - be nice!

Possums

Posted 2621 days ago

Our citrus trees are now coming back to life once again since placing soft toys up each tree! The lemon was having both fruit and leaves devoured by possums, grapefruit almost as bad until placing soft toy animals up on a branch. The grandchildren love to see them up there, possums it seems do not. We are looking now to having a good crop of lemons, grapefruit, mandarins, orange and cumquots this season.

Alert moderator

pomolo
Forum legend

RE: Possums

Posted 2621 days ago

I'll remember that one Haslemere.

Alert moderator

14theroze
Forum celebrity

Posted 2621 days ago

What a thought!!! Like a scarecrow to the possums.

I'll try this out on the church yard fruit trees - the possums always demolish the peaches just before they are ready to pick. They have citrus trees there too.
_________
Even the hard, dull, dry ground harbours life - which is brought to the surface with the fresh touch of drenching rain (or the humble watering can).

Alert moderator

Micheal
Forum stalwart

Posted 2611 days ago

What a great idea :)
I bought my house about 10 months ago and since moving in ive had a permanent Possum trap set up on my back lawn (cage trap) so far ive caught and relocated 18 of the little buggers (some of them are bloody huge) and the fruit trees and roses ect are looking great.
I'll definately try the stuffed animal toys though

The cage works a real treat
18 Possums
3 brown Rats
And the neighbours Ginger Cat lol
_________
Sir Micheal of Mangerton

Alert moderator

lionelw
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2582 days ago

I tried mothballs and they worked untill they got wet.
Poss doesn't like the smell.
_________

Alert moderator

Monique
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2579 days ago

Thanks for that great idea. We have recently planted some pear trees and the possums are eating all of the new growth which is devastating! I'll try the stuffed toys :-)
_________
Monique G Mount Waverley, Vic

Alert moderator

Micheal
Forum stalwart

Posted 2577 days ago

I still have my Possum cagetrap set all the time on my back lawn and im about to reloacate another little bugger this morning.

I love the Possums but i love my garden more i'm afraid.
I'm sure they must have a sixth sense as to when everyones fruit and vegies are ripening. They always know just when to turn up lol
_________
Sir Micheal of Mangerton

Alert moderator

Micheal
Forum stalwart

Posted 2577 days ago

They'll be pushing a shopping trolley through my garden next..
_________
Sir Micheal of Mangerton

Alert moderator

downtoearth
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2574 days ago

You might try to co-exist with the possums if you can - after all, they are trying to survive in tough times too! Make allowances for them because they really should be welcome visitors in your yard. Can you investigate ways to distract them through other forms of nourishment so that they are diverted from your citrus?
Best of luck, downtoearth
_________
Ph/Fax: (03) 5331 4883 Email: enquiry@administrationandevents.com Web: http://administrationandevents.com

Alert moderator

lionelw
Forum newbie - be nice!

Posted 2514 days ago

You could try getting a Fox Terrior or Jack Russel dog ( male / female ) and letting it loose in the yard ( as long as u have a good fence ) they will sort them ( possums ) out.
_________

Alert moderator

14theroze
Forum celebrity

Posted 2514 days ago

Downtoearth
As much as I love the wild life - I don't think the possums are going to descriminate between what we grow for them to eat and what we grow for our own consumption. I have 3 noisy dogs that keep the possums at bay here. Fortunately at present I don't have much for the possums to steal, but once my orchard and shade trees are established I'm sure they will be here by the dozen. We have a reserve behind us and I know there are many possums in our area. I'll be using the stuffed toys in the trees method - if I have to catch them to move them further away I will (though with the reserve behind us I think that would be a pointless option). There's plenty of possum food in the wild around our area - there's no need for the possums to eat what is not in fact the food they would generally eat in their natural habitat. I wouldn't mind sharing some of my fruit with them - but they'll destroy a whole trees harvest in one or two nights.
_________
Even the hard, dull, dry ground harbours life - which is brought to the surface with the fresh touch of drenching rain (or the humble watering can).

Alert moderator

14theroze
Forum celebrity

Posted 2514 days ago

Downtoearth
As much as I love the wild life - I don't think the possums are going to descriminate between what we grow for them to eat and what we grow for our own consumption. I have 3 noisy dogs that keep the possums at bay here. Fortunately at present I don't have much for the possums to steal, but once my orchard and shade trees are established I'm sure they will be here by the dozen. We have a reserve behind us and I know there are many possums in our area. I'll be using the stuffed toys in the trees method - if I have to catch them to move them further away I will (though with the reserve behind us I think that would be a pointless option). There's plenty of possum food in the wild around our area - there's no need for the possums to eat what is not in fact the food they would generally eat in their natural habitat. I wouldn't mind sharing some of my fruit with them - but they'll destroy a whole trees harvest in one or two nights.
_________

Alert moderator